Lili at 3

Lili at 3

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Don't read this if you can't stand the mundane

Yippee!  Today Lili Mei met with a different doctor about the possibility of a new prosthetic. The one we received in August has a zipper which is now cutting into her skin and actually leaving a mark! So we wanted to see what the possibility was for something different. (Don't worry...it ends well.)

Here's how it went.

Our 45 minute drive to the hospital turned into two hours.  I knew I was in trouble when I pulled up to the corner to turn onto the main street coming out of our neighborhood and my GPS said, "Severe traffic ahead, recalculating."  But there was no traffic.  Yet.  I checked my iPhone...the interstate was red.  Red.  Reeeeeddddddd.  Ok, no big deal--I had an hour and 45 minutes til our appointment.  We'd be fiiiiiiiiiine
...the GPS was taking me a different way.  Each time I followed a command, it was worse. Stopped.  And this was BETTER than the interstate?  Ugh.

I think I did not drive faster than 15 miles per hour for 30 miles.

Oh.

my.

gosh.

When we finally did arrive at our destination, we spent 10 minutes sitting 3 cars back at a stop sign right outside the garage I wanted to go into, with the construction guy stopping traffic  in both directions while a truck tried to unload a dumpster.  Forward a little.  Back, turn, forward a little.  Back, turn....AAAAGGGGH.  Tip the bed, release the dumpster.  Forward a little...Ok, now we are getting somewhere.  No.  Back up, load the next dumpster onto the bed.  Forward a little, back, forward...

FINALLY.

So I get through the stop, pull up to the garage--and am turned away by the attendant who tells me the lot is full.  Drove towards the other lot along with everyone else who had been stopped so long, so I kept going.  To the biggest lot on the grounds.  One thousand spaces, I was told.  Floor 1--Full.  Floor 2--Full.....Floors 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9--FULL.  The electronic sign said floor 10 had 49 spaces.   I drive around the first floor and it spit me out onto the street. WHAAAT?  U-Turn. Back around, and up the next floor--now the sign says floor 10 has 48 spaces.  Up another floor.  Floor 10 now has 46 spaces.  Where are these invisible people taking up the spaces on the 10th floor?  Up another floor--ok, I don't know how many floors I actually went up because the first level wasn't actually the first floor on that side or something, but miracle of miracles, I'm on floor 6 and there is a space RIGHT next to the elevator--a guy had JUST pulled out!  Yey.  I thanked the Lord.  Things were looking up.  So I go down a few floors, walk through the parking lot, up the ramp, and find my way out.  More construction.  Up the hill.  In the cold.  And it's windy.  Poor Lili Mei.  At least I had a stroller blanket in the car, and a hat she had smuggled into the back seat, and lined driving gloves in the glovebox  (See, it pays to have junk in the car.  Anyone need some goldfish or pretzel crumbs?).

And did I mention I had a huge mug of coffee?  Which I drank for 2 hours?  Um...yeah.

We finally arrived at the correct location in the hospital, checked in and were seen almost immediately.  Wow!  After speaking briefly to the doc about our situation, he went out and rounded up a prosthetist, who happened to bring in a sample of EXACTLY what I had been envisioning for Lili Mei's foot.  It was perfect.  Precisely what I had described to our first prosthetist (but not what we ended up with!). Although he has never personally made one of these for a child, and this will be somewhat trial and error, he is willing to take on the task.

Impressions of Lili Mei's feet were taken--reluctantly, under my restraint, quite against her will--everyone in that wing surely heard her!  Now we just wait to find out if our insurance will approve and cover it.   If so, we'll have something she might even be able to put on by herself in time.  If not...well, I don't know. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

We were told it was serendipity that this particular prosthetist was there today.

No it wasn't.

I believe we were just where we were supposed to be at 10:45 this morning.  Traffic, parking, weather ...all part of His plan.  Who knew?

Psalm 139:16--the verse I have at the head of this blog.  He knows.

He even knew I was going to lose one glove out of my pocket on the walk back to the car.  Rats.





No comments:

Post a Comment