Lili at 3

Lili at 3

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Shouldn't I be doing something?

I gotta tell you...this is the weirdest time ever.  Everything is totally status quo right now. Shouldn't I be freaking out?!

 I left the house at 7am to drive out to the church I was playing at (pardon me...the church at which I was playing...thank you Mr. Pudua).  An hour and a half rehearsal, then the service was a little over an hour, but let out too late for me to get back to attend the last service at our church, so I drove home.  Scott and Lauren had gone to the service at our church already and were home making lunch.

Lauren and I went out and attempted to find sneakers, but had zero luck with any stores nearby, and I didn't feel like driving to the "good mall" and dealing with parking and crowds and the stress of it all.  There is simply nowhere to find decent kids shoes close by!  Grr!  Anyway, I hear we can get some for pretty cheap while we are in China, and Lauren is all about a good bargain.  So she agreed she could squeeze into her shoes a little longer, but I made her go through her closet and get ALL her outgrown shoes--she had like 10 pairs!  Into the wash went several of them, but the others will just have to get washed by whoever gets them next (yes, you can was Nikes, Keens and Crocs!--If I can't wash something, usually I won't buy it!)  Unfortunately for Scott, Lauren wanted to rescue all her gibbets (or giblets, as Scott calls them) before giving her Crocs away, so he had the pleasure of removing them all (curses).

But let me back up--we get back home and Scott has the entire family room lined with rows of junk. He was unpacking our one and only storage area in the house--the space under the stairs (AGAIN!).  He streamed a bunch of "Hoarders" episodes on Netflix last night while he was vegging, and I guess that pushed him over the edge.  The giant bulletin board--D. is taking that.  Some of Lauren's outgrown clothes and shoes--always look cute on A.'s kids.  K. agreed to Freecycle some used baby stuff that was given to us (but Lili will be too old/big to use it), as well as our old 13" tv/vcr combo with the non-working vcr and some other stuff (God bless her).  The rest--we'll have our first charity run of 2011, and yes, I remembered to itemize this time.

After a quick swipe with the vacuum over the family room and classroom, we were off to dinner at C.'s  Delicious, as usual, with strawberry creme cake from Whole Foods for dessert.  Yum.    Didn't stay too late, but Scott and Lauren turned in when we got home, and of course I, being the family night owl, want to finish my "Flight of the Conchords season 2" dvd so I can get it back to Netflix before we leave .  There is no way I will be able to finish the library book I checked out recently after placing a hold on it and waiting forever for it --Mini Shopaholic--by Tuesday night.  I'm not even half done.  (Although I should get at least a couple chapters read tonight in the next hour.)  I'll just have to get back on the waiting list for another copy.      Ok, I digress...

It is just almost unfathomable that in less than 72 hours we will be flying over the north pole (I think), half way around the world.  And in one week we will have our daughter!!!  I know things will change-- a lot--but I also know a lot will stay the same.  And I'm looking forward to all of it.  My carpets may not stay white--I'm ok with that (enter: Rug Doctor)!  The poopy cloth diapers--well, I can always fall back on disposables.  And if I need a nap because Lili is still on Beijing time and up all night, I've got a fabulous 12 year old baby sitter to entertain her for an hour (and some awesomely compassionate friends as well).

I should be freaking out.  Maybe I am a little and that's why I'm writing about cleaning closets and Netflix.  But school tomorrow will take my mind off of all this.  Science test, new lesson in math...  the last thing to do before we go is clean the house.  Maybe I'll do that tomorrow night. Or maybe I'll join my friends for a chili dinner at C.C.'s!

No comments:

Post a Comment