These last few days have not been nearly as stressful as I’d imagined, but I think that is mostly because I took care of as many things as possible in the last several weeks. I have been purchasing (or borrowing, or receiving as gifts) all the baby items I think we’ll need, including a high-chair, carseats, strollers, play-pen, crib, blankets, bibs, feeding stuff, toys, clothes...good grief. How could one tiny little person need so many things?
The funniest acquisition was the diapers. I had decided I’d use cloth diapers again, as I had with Lauren. Only back then, 12 years ago, I had a service that picked up all the stinky messy poopy diapers and brought back nice fresh clean white diapers. This time around, I’ll be washing them myself! (oh, joy.) So after much internet surfing and lots of YouTube viewing, I decided on a brand--gDiapers.
Then came the quest for used gDiapers. You read that right--used. There is, in fact, a huge market for used cloth diapers! I found a gal on Craigslist who was selling a great big lot of them with a ton of covers, and several unopened packs of disposable inserts--for a VERY good price. I met her behind a Costco (felt like a drug deal going down!) and we made the trade. They were in excellent condition, very clean, and I was quite pleased with myself. Now I was committed. I had just spent a small fortune on USED diapers. I emailed Scott at work to let him know I found and bought diapers off Craigslist, and his response was two words: “USED DIAPERS?” But he came around when he saw them. All three of us are on board with using cloth diapers, which is a good thing! When I asked Lauren if she was sure she was going to be ok with changing them, she said, “I HAVE to be--She’s my SISTER!” (I confess...I have packed disposables for the trip)
So, diapers: check.
She might not need them very long. I still remember taking care of a Chinese infant in our church nursery who would not poop until we held her over a potty! (this was in the less than a year old spot!) At any rate, with cloth you'll be sure to get out of them sooner. Have a great trip--I look forward to following along. (this is really from Debbie from GRACE using my husband's account)
ReplyDelete